Bronze Boomerang Award (Cub Scout Pack - Scouts Australia)
Compulsory Do all of the following:
1 Health First Aid
A Personal Health:
* Explain how to keep your hands and nails clean and why.
* Explain when you should wash your hands.
* Demonstrate how to look after your teeth.
B Basic First Aid:
* Put together a simple first aid kit.
* Show how to treat a graze or small cut.
C Infections: Show an understanding of how colds are spread and how to prevent them.
D Adult Help:
* Explain why you need adult help in case of accidents.
* Pass a message including an address from one adult to another.
* Explain how to use a mobile phone and a public phone and discuss the steps you would take to make an emergency call.
A Explain the buddy system.
B Home: Discuss the causes of accidents in the home especially in the kitchen, bathroom and on stairways.
C Road: Take an adult for a walk and show that you know how to be safe on the road.
* Discuss the dangers of swimming in the type of waters in your area.
* Explain the dangers of inflatable toys in open water.
* Explain what you should do to make sure you don't get lost in the bush.
* Discuss what you should do if you get lost in the bush.
* Discuss the dangers that fire can cause in the home and the bush.
* Show what to do if you are in a fire at home.
G Personal: Discuss why you should not go places by yourself.
A Tying Knots:
* Tie a reef knot.
* Tie your shoelaces.
B Use of knots: Discuss how and when to use a reef knot.
C Care of ropes: Show how to look after ropes correctly.
4 Outdoor Scouting
A Compass and Navigation:
* Discuss how a compass works
* Know the 4 cardinal points
* Make a simple compass
B Maps and Hiking:
* Attend at least two outdoor outings with your Pack
* For the outings, dress correctly
* For the outings, pack your own daypack
C Fire Lighting: Demonstrate the correct way to strike a match.
D Prepare and cook a damper or twist for yourself.
5 Cub Scout Traditions
A The Jungle Book
* Talk about the main characters in the Jungle Book and what their names are.
* Tell the story of how Mowgli came to be in the Jungle.
B Scouting History
* Tell who founded Scouting and where and when it began
* Find out when Scouting started in Australia and in your Group
* When is B-P's birthday and what do we call this special day?
6 Symbols of Australia
A Flags: Show you know the composition of the Australian Flag.
B Emblems: Tell your leader of two places where you would see the Australian Coat of Arms.
7 Promise and Law
A Duty to Your God: Write a prayer and read it to the Pack.
B Promise and Law: Talk to your leader about how you do your best to live up to the Promise and Law-
* at home.
* at school.
* in the Pack.
C Service: Do a good turn for someone at home and tell your Leader about it.
Complete 3 of the following:
A Ball Skills:
* Throw a ball 5 metres to someone else and catch it on return 4 times.
* Dribble a ball for a distance of 10 metres.
B Athletic Skills: Run 100 metres as quickly as can be done.
C Strength and Stamina: Skip 10 times without stopping.
9 People and Cultures
A Indigenous Australians: FInd out about one of the traditional owners in Victoria and how they lived before European settlement.
B International Cultures: Make a list of the ethnic groups in your community either at school, at church or in your Pack.
* Find something about each of the five Sections in your Group or District.
* Take part in an activity with a different Section.
10 Scientific Discovery
A Biology: Grow some seeds on cotton wool and observe what happens.
B Geology: Identify five different rocks and tell where you found them.
* Explain the composition of air.
* Perform an experiment that shows how oxygen can be used up.
* Measure your hand and foot.
* Using these measurements estimate the width of your Scout Hall and the height of a Cub Scout.
11 Natural Environment
* Name four things that can be recycled and how recycling helps the environment.
* Make something using recycled materials.
* Help to clean up litter in your local area.
* Explain how litter can harm the natural environment.
C Habitat Destruction:
* Find out what native creatures live in your local area.
* Discuss how their habitats can be destroyed.
12 Self Expression
A Performing Arts: Perform in a mime, skit or play with other members of your Pack.
B Visual Arts: Create a poster, painting, drawing or collage.
C Creative Writing: Write a poem or short story.
D Music: Sing a song or play a musical instrument for your Pack.
A Handcraft: Make an item using a material consisting of wood, metal, fibres and/or clay.
14 Your Community
* Show you know how to keep your clothes, toys and equipment tidy.
* Talk to your Leader or Parents about how to do this.
B Local Community: Show you know where the main features are in your local area such as:
* Nearest bus stop between your home and the Scout Hall.
* The safest routes to the shops from home.
C Local Organisations: Does your community have a local newspaper or newsletter? If so, what is it called?
TroopTrack is not affiliated with or endorsed by Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, or Scouts Australia. Any usage of BSA, GSA, or SA terminology on this site is for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as an endorsement of this product by any of these organizations.